Diploma in Business Translation and Interpretation Skills
Applications for 9th Intake, AY 2018 are now open!
Date:||1 December 2017 (Friday)|
PS: Registration via email 2 days before the information session is required.
Time:|| 7.00pm – 8.30pm |
Venue:||Confucius Institute, NTU, LT802|
This programme is designed to meet the needs of professionals who deal with Chinese documents and/or Chinese-speaking clients or customers in their daily work and thus desire to understand the grammatical differences between Chinese and English, and to master the basic theories and skills for Chinese-English bilateral translation and interpretation.
On successful completion of this programme, students will be able to:
- Deepen their understanding on the peculiar characteristics of both the English and Chinese language;
- Master the practical skills and knowledge on Chinese-English and English-Chinese bilateral translation;
- Become proficient at translating commonly used business documents;
- Master the basics and skills of interpretation;
- Learn the application of various computer softwares for translation.
- Increasing the job prospect for those who aspired to be full/part-time translators or interpreters.
- Collaboration with top Chinese universities, for example, trainings on interpretation skills will all be conducted at the Beijing Foreign Studies University (BFSU).
- Students who successfully completed all the 8 modules (with an attendance rate of not less than 75%), will receive a certificate from the Confucius Institute, Nanyang Technological University.
The programme is taught by respected scholars and academics from within and outside the country, and senior practitioners from the translation and interpretation industry.
- The course comprises 8 modules, with a term of 10 months.
- Each module consists of 30 training hours and carries 3 credits. A student will need to complete all the 8 modules and obtain 24 credits to fulfil the graduation requirements.
- The maximum candidature for a student will be 2 years (from the date of registration).
Medium of Instruction
DBTS001 Contrastive Study of English and Chinese Languages (3 AUs)
This module makes contrastive analyses of English and Chinese languages, discusses and exposes the differences between these two languages in terms of lexicon, grammar, semantics, pragmatics, culture, and way of thinking, and highlight the implications of these differences for practical English-Chinese bilateral translation.
DBTS002 Practical English-Chinese Translation Skills (3 AUs)
This module aims to help students understand basic concepts and acquire basic techniques and skills for English-Chinese translation. Focus is placed on the cultivation and mastery of proven techniques through a large number of examples and exercises. Multiple translations of the same original English text will be analyzed to enhance students’ awareness of the importance of techniques. Common errors in translation from English to Chinese are summed up and explained.
DBTS003 Practical Chinese-English Translation Skills (3 AUs)
This module focuses on basic theories and techniques in translation from Chinese to English. Students will learn how to analyze short Chinese texts and use the techniques taught to translate them into English. Common errors in translation from Chinese to English are analyzed and corrections explained. Comparison of different versions of the same original Chinese texts will be used to enhance students’ understanding of various translation techniques. Students will have opportunities to practice the techniques through in-class drills and individual assignments.
DBTS004 Translation of Business and Trade Documents (3 AUs)
This module is designed to equip students with the effective skills and techniques for translating business and trade documents including advertisements, business correspondence, contracts and agreements, memorandums, notices, press releases, and annual reports. The students will read and analyze a variety of business and trade related documents, familiarize themselves with the jargons, terminologies, and styles of these documents. The students will then learn how to render the texts from English to Chinese and vice versa through proper diction and expressions, keeping in mind the cultural differences between Western and Chinese communities.
DBTS005 Translation Topics: News, Legal and Technical Translation (3 AUs)
This module is designed to develop students’ skills for translating news (news report, editorials, etc), technical writings (manuals, lab report, product review, etc), and legal documents (laws, rules and regulations, articles of association, arbitration award, court judgment, etc). The focus is placed on the analysis of the linguistic and stylistic features of these genres and effective strategies and methods are then introduced and elaborated. A fair number of examples and exercises are designed to help students master the methods and skills discussed.
DBTS006 Modern Translation Technologies (3 AUs)
Modern translation service requires translators to be able to apply various technical tools either in PC or networked environment. This module aims to introduce and teach students how to use various computer-aided-translation software to improve the efficiency and management of translation projects. Software covered includes SDL Trados, Déjà vu, SDLX, Idiom, Systran and logomedia.
DBTS007 Consecutive Interpreting (C – E)* (3 AUs)
This module is a basic course in consecutive interpreting from Chinese to English focusing on the basic interpreting skills and techniques. Students will be equipped with the basic consecutive interpreting ability from Chinese to English, through a large number of practical exercises.
DBTS008 Consecutive Interpreting (E – C)* (3 AUs)
This module is a basic course in consecutive interpreting from English to Chinese focusing on the basic interpreting skills and techniques. Students will be equipped with the basic consecutive interpreting ability from English to Chinese through a large number of practical exercises.
*To be conducted at Beijing Foreign Studies University (BFSU)
Applicant should possess the following academic qualifications:
- Tertiary Education (or its equivalent).
- Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education holder must attain at least a B4 grade in GCE ‘O’ Level English (or its equivalent).
- Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education holder must attain at least an A2 grade in GCE 'O' Level Chinese OR a B3 grade in GCE 'O' Level Higher Chinese (or its equivalent).
- Non-Singaporean applicant will need to present educational certificate(s) that could prove that he/she is well versed in both Chinese and English.
Applicants who do not meet the above mentioned requirements will have to sit for an entrance test.
- Application for the programme will be opened in October for admission in February/March the following year.
- Application form could be downloaded online from CI-NTU website or to obtain a copy at our CI-NTU registration counter.
- Applicants are required to bring along the following original and certified copies of supporting documents for verification when they submit their application form.
- Duly completed and signed application form
- For company-sponsored applicant, the application form must be signed and endorsed by the company stamp
- 3 recent passport-sized colour photographs. Please indicate your name on the reverse of each photograph
Certified Copies of the Original Documents:
- Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education (or its equivalent)
- Degree scroll and/or Diploma certificate
- Transcript(s) of academic record from the tertiary institution(s) attended
- Any other professional certificate(s)
- NRIC/ Employment Pass/Work Permit and Passport (whichever is applicable)
Registration fee: $50.00*
Miscellaneous fee: $100.00*
Tuition fee: $6,850.00* (excludes the expenses on air ticket, travel insurance, meals, accommodation, transportation and other miscellaneous fees for attending the DBTS007, DBTS008 modules, which will be conducted in China.)
*Prevailing GST is applicable
Students enrolled in this programme are entitled to study for one of the following modules of CI-NTU’s Diploma in Teaching Chinese Language free of charge, after they have successfully completed their programme.
DTCL001: Modern Chinese
Core Knowledge of Chinese Culture
Applicants may apply for the following subsidies provided by SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) for the payment of tution fee.
a) Skills Development Fund (SDF)
- S$2 per training hour, capped at S$300 per course.
- Applicable only to Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents (PR) of Singapore.
- Applicant must be employed.
- Applicant’s company must be registered or incorporated in Singapore.
- Applicant’s tuition fee should be fully sponsored by company.
- Applicant must achieve at least 75% attendance, and have sat and passed all examinations.
For more details of the subsidy, please contact SSG hotline at (65) 6785 5785 or
b) SkillsFuture Credit (SFC)
- Receive an opening credit of S$500 that will not expire and periodic top-ups from the Government to offset the tuition fee of approved skills-related courses.
- Applicable only to Singapore Citizens.
- Aged 25 years and above.
- Applicant must be self-sponsored.
For more information, please visit
www.skillsfuture.sg/credit or contact SSG hotline at (65) 6785 5785.
Course fees paid to CI-NTU may be refunded if:
|Tuition Fee||100%||More than 30 days before the programme commences.|
|50%||Between 15 to 30 days before the programme commences.|
|0%||Less than 15 days before the programme commences.|
- For SkillsFuture Credit applicants, the refund amount considered is inclusive of SkillsFuture Credit used.
|Contact Person:||Seah Suzanna / Yang Mei Tyan|
|Tel:||6514 1063/ 6514 1062|
Unless otherwise stated, all classes for the programme are conducted at Confucius Institute, Nanyang Technological University.
Diploma in Business Translation and Interpretation Skills (8th Intake, AY 2017)
Course Duration:||28 Feb - 30 Nov 2017|
Schedule:||7:00pm - 10:00pm |
Diploma in Business Translation and Interpretation Skills (9th Intake, AY 2018)
Course Duration:||6 Mar - 29 Nov 2018|
Schedule:|| 7:00pm - 10:00pm |
Registration Closing Date:||9 Feb 2018 (Fri) |
Click on links to download
DBTS Application Form
DBTS (8th Intake, AY 2017) - Course Schedule
DBTS (9th Intake, AY 2018) - Course Schedule
Current Event Calendar Listings