"In Class with the Master": Chinese Calligraphy Workshop
This course aims to practise writing beautiful Chinese Characters (Hanzi) and have a better understanding of Chinese Culture.
- To provide a comprehensive introduction to Chinese Calligraphy (including its historical development, basic skills and hands-on experience).
- To provide participants appropriate guidance on Calligraphy based on individual preferences and abilities.
Course Outline (Choose 1 out of 2 lecture series) :
Lecture Series 1：Fundamentals of Chinese Calligraphy
- An Introduction into Chinese Calligraphy
- The benefit of practicing Chinese Calligraphy (meditative, cultivating disciplined, and relaxing)
- How Chinese Characters were formed
- Writing styles of Chinese Characters and Calligraphy
- History of Chinese Calligraphy
- Basic Writing Materials – “Four Treasures of Study”
- Technique of Handling and Controlling of the Brush
- Eight Basic Brushstrokes Principles using the word ‘yong’
- Fundamental Rules and changes of Brushstrokes Movement
- Five Golden Rules of Brushstroke Sequences
- Structure of Characters
- Build up collection of Chinese words, starting with simple structures of characters and working up to more complicated compositions
Lecture Series 2 ：Learning the exemplary works of ancient masters
- An introduction to the calligraphic basic skill by practicing exemplary works of famous calligraphers
- How to choose a good version of copybook (Stone rubbing templates)
- Comparison of the exemplary works of 4 famous calligraphers and in-depth study into the unique characteristics of their works
- How to appreciate the exemplary works of the reputed calligraphers and imitating their styles
- Practising the exemplary works of various famous calligraphers, namely Liu Gongquan , Yan Zhengqing and Zhao Mengfu
- Practising writing the same words in different styles
- Understanding different formats of Chinese Calligraphic Works
- Layout arrangements
- How to create beautiful brush lettering and Artwork
- Inscriptions or sign off the artwork
- Special efforts on calligraphy
Course Instructor: Mr Chew Ho Son (周和顺先生)
Mr Chew, formal Divisional Director of NTU (1981 to 2009), has obtained Professional Calligraphy Training from Tsing Hua University .Currently, one of the part-time trainers of Confucius Institute, NTU and Peoples Association.
He has taken part in Chinese calligraphy competitions in Singapore, China, Korea, France and many other countries for 17 times since 1995 and his outstanding works are used for exhibitions in countries like China, France, Canada, Brazil, Japan and southeast Asia.
4 September 2017 – 7 November 2017 (Every Tue)
|Time：||10am - 12pm|
|Language Medium:||Mandarin & English|
|Venue：||Confucius Institute, NTU|
11 Slim Barracks Rise, NTU @One-north campus, Executive Centre, #08-01
Singapore 138664 (near Buona Vista MRT station)
|Course Fee: ||S$385.20 / 12 sessions|
S$205.20 / 12 sessions (NSA Subsidy for senior citizen aged 50 and above)
S$40.00* (Materials fee)
(Price stated is inclusive of 7% GST)
|Contact Person:||Yaqi/Jia Haur|
|Tel:||6592 7513 / 6514 1397|
Besides the above mentioned course, we also provide Customized Corporate Programmes for organisations, associations and institutions. Please contact us for more information.
Current Event Calendar Listings